Kinesiology (Exercise Science/Applied Health)
The Kinesiology program at Simpson University draws from strengths in both the Sciences and Mathematics Department and the Athletic Department, offering a strong depth of instruction while encompassing the breadth of the different areas where kinesiologists are employed. Within our major, students will learn more about careers in physical education or sports and fitness management, and even earn credit towards an Education minor through the courses offered in this program. With a graduate placement rate of nearly 100% within the previously offered majors in the Sciences and Mathematics Department, we anticipate that many of our graduates in this major will successfully go on to such careers or pursue graduate and/or professional education programs.
Simpson University's Kinesiology major features small class and lab sizes, so students can get one-on-one attention from faculty members. Students will also have the opportunity to complete internships and gain clinical experience in the areas of sports management, coaching, athletic training and physical therapy, among others.
- Students will be able to recall and articulate basic scientific concepts and processes related to kinesiology.
- Students will be able to employ and apply appropriate observational techniques to obtain data regarding athletic performance and overall health.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in exercise science and sports management, as well as Christian ethics, culminating in an “on-the-job” internship experience.
- Students will be able to read reviews of primary medical literature and effectively present their findings.
- Students will be able to analyze issues in kinesiology that engender controversy, present multiple viewpoints on the issue, and articulate a Christian viewpoint with means of addressing the issue in public space
Associate Professor of Kinesiology
Dr. Morrison has a broad range of experience in the field of Kinesiology, including teaching K-12 physical education and health, working in exercise physiology with cardiac, pulmonary and fitness testing, coaching, and corporate health and wellness promotion. Prior to Simpson University, Dr. Morrison served as Department Chair of Kinesiology at Houston Baptist University for 9 years. Dr. Morrison’s degrees include a B.S. in Athletic Training, M.A.T. in Exercise Science and Teaching and Ed.D. in Health Science Curriculum and Instruction. Areas of research have included the effects of verbal and video feedback on sport and clinical skill development.