Our Communication Major teaches the importance of accurately communicating truth in an attitude of love. Our courses, taught with a Christian worldview, seek to develop individual character as well as your ability to reason and use clear expression. We seek to equip students to be well-informed, communicative contributors to society and God's work wherever they go.
A communication major opens the door to multiple career opportunities, including public relations, marketing, journalism, teaching, politics, law, research, sports information, event promotion, and much more.
Communication Major Specializations
- Organizational Communication and Public Relations
- Digital Media
- Communication Models & Theory: Students will comprehend, understand, and apply communication models and theory in diverse practical contexts.
- Ethically Appropriate Communication:
- Students will be able to develop content that reflects ethically appropriate communication in multiple contexts.
- Students will be able to understand and demonstrate appreciation of the cultural values, diversity and unity of a multicultural world.
- Communication Artifacts: Students will be able to evaluate, analyze, and synthesize communication artifacts with skill in relating them to similar communication products.
- Information Literacy: Students are able to recognize when information is needed and have the ability to use the appropriate methodology to discover, evaluate, and utilize the appropriate evidence in communicating messages.
- Communication Ability: Students will be able to communicate orally and in writing with advanced proficiency.
Major Specific Resources
Internship and Study Abroad Opportunities:
|Channel 7 News||The Scholars' Semester in Oxford|
|Record Searchlight||Los Angeles Film Studies|
“The Digital Media program showed me my true passion for creativity in design, as well as a new understanding and interest for the Adobe Creative Suite! The skills I learned are the things I now use on a daily basis for my job.” — Haylee Ward, Digital Media Specialization, Class of 2023
“The professors really take the time to know you personally and help you with anything you need. They do a great job of making you feel like family, which ultimately improves classroom work.” — Luis Saucedo, Communication Specialization, Class of 2023
"Being your student has been a privilege. Your teaching and our class sessions have invigorated my mind, challenged me to think deeply, satisfied my curiosities, and prompted me to seek truth...learning from you hasn't been about getting good grades and passing classes--it has largely been about being directed to grow in faith and leading a purposeful life. Thank you for your wisdom and patience." — Manya Cramer, Class of 2016
"Simpson has changed my life in ways I would have never imagined. I learned and grew so much through sports, student leadership, mission trips, and academics. I had such a great college experience here, and I know many others will have great college experiences here as well." — Kendra Kaiserman, Class of 2016
"Because of the experiences I’ve had at Simpson, every time I step on the campus, I get a feeling of home. This is where I got to dream about what God might have for me. This is where God gave me my calling." — John Hinton, Class of 2006